Monday, November 3, 2014

JOBS: Rewarding Work

Are jobs as rewarding in Israel? No. That is the answer. And that is if you can find a job in the non-profit world. Which means your paycheck will be coming in from America.
Life is more rewarding. There is something to that. It is about perspective. If you view Israel as a large non-profit, you care constantly donating money. If you become broke, you can donate money to yourself. You are part of the non-profit. Asking family for money should come with no shame. You are raising money for your organization. It is all about perspective. You get ripped off by a scandalous store owner, that is fine. You are not the fryer. You are supporting Israel and fraud.
In the worst of circumstances, you can find beauty in this world. They call it 'unemployed' in America. That sounds negative. In Israel, it is called social security collection time. It is your chance for a 'paid vacation,' thanks to Bituach Leumi.' It is the only time in your life that you will see money from Bituach Leumi, the social security people.
I have a purpose here. The purpose on a simple level is that I am part of the development of the Jewish Home Land, The Holy Land, The Dream. I might be messing it up for others, but I am sharing in the future of messing it up for the Jewish people. My justification for my existence, is that I am in Israel. Work is secondary. Making a living and supporting a family is secondary. Making my parents feel as though they did not waste money on a full life of private school is secondary. I have not given up on the other parts of life, but I now have my justification. Family I may not have, but I do have justification. I moved to Israel and my job does not pay well. I haven’t brought family to the Jewish people yet. But I am in Israel and I am trying to find a way to pay less taxes.
I did not say that I want to support the government. But it is meaningful. It is not rewarding labor. It is real labor. I now run a bar. A non-profit bar, where Jews can come and not tip.
Work-wise, I have found my place and continue to do so. And it is rewarding to share in the nightlife of the Holy City, where we shall one day hopefully not have to see the children of Beit Shemesh. They are annoying. And maybe parents should not let their children travel at 3am.

I was a rabbi in America. There I could be a rabbi. When I made Aliyah, Israelis figured me out real quick. The goatee did not pass for a beard. The lack of Hebrew abilities…they knew right away. In the US, you can get away without knowing stuff, because other people in the US don’t know stuff. You read transliteration in the middle of your speech and they know you are serious. However, in Israel, when you are deciphering deep issues of Jewish law with a picture book, they catch on. I want to put a little thank you out there to that Shabbat laws picture book, I would have never passed the rabbinic ordination test without you.

Lesson:
-Justify your lack of professional work. It makes for a happier Aliyah. You can finally put your doctorate in physics to work and be a plumber, or a builder.
-It is about perspective. You are building in the Jewish homeland. That is charity work, and that is meaningful. Just tell your parents you are a doctor.
-Make your Jewish American parents happy. Bring some naches and open up a bar with $300,000 they spent on your education.
-It is hard to find rabbi jobs in Israel. Apparently everybody hear learns Torah. Use your smicha, rabbinic ordination, for something positive. I run a kosher bar, an I am the mashgiach. That saves money for the non-profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment